“For Colored Boys” is soul-stirring dramatic web series written and directed by award-winning filmmaker Stacey Muhammad. Seven seasons of “For Colored Boys” tell stories about seven Black men who are faced with redemption, truth, love, fear, hope, endings, and new beginnings. The web series is inspired by the critically-acclaimed 1975 choreopoem ‘For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf’ by Ntozake Shange.
The first season of “For Colored Boys,” entitled REDEMPTION, follows the life of Benjamin Boyd, Sr. Upon release from prison, Benjamin seeks to reunite with his family by rekindling his relationship with his wife Lisa and reassuming his role as father to their teenage daughter Sidney, and 20 year old son, E. Benjamin’s life begins to spiral out of control as he suffers from Post Incarceration Syndrome (PIC) and struggles to find his place in the world again.
What We’re Done Thus Far!
- The first episode of For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION is COMPLETE and has screened at film festivals nationwide!
- We’ve secured a STELLAR cast of incredible actors in front of the camera and an amazingly talented crew of professionals behind the camera and will be shooting another EIGHT episodes of For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION May 16th – 23rd, in NYC.
- We’ve received OVERWHELMINGLY positive feedback about the project!
Read what others are saying
- We’re received GREAT reviews and press! Check out For Colored Boys on Indiewire, Clutch Magazine, Hip Hop DX, OkayPlayer, The ROOT and Shadow and Act.
- Episode 1 has been used as a teaching module and has been screened at high schools and youth centers.
- Episode 1 has been shared far and wide on Facebook, Twitter, blogs and in the press. There has been a tremendous amount of support for this project!
- We’ve recently partnered with a number of organizations that address the needs of children of incarcerated parents and the issue of mass incarceration.
- We successfully raised 13k on Indiegogo to assist us with production costs for the first season of For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION.
- We still need to raise AT LEAST another 8k before we shoot!
Where your contributions go!
Another EIGHT (8) episodes of the dramatic web series For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION!
We’re not cutting corners on quality! The technology and production value for this web series is TOP NOTCH! Unrivaled cinema capability with the RED EPIC.
Your contriibutions will assist us with:
- Cast Salaries (Many of our actors are union (SAG / AFRTRA) & must be compensated accordingly.
- Craft Services & Catering (EXTREMELY important on any production!)
- Crew Salaries (Director of Photographer, Assistant Camerman, Gaffers, Sound Recordist & Boom Operator, Set Designer, Art Director, Hair, Makeup and Wardrobe)
- Travel and Loding Accomodations
- Lighting and Lens Rentals
- Post Production Services such as Editing, Sound Mixing, GFX Titling, DVD authoring & Packaging, Marketing
Cast of For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION, Season 1.
Additional cast members: Kai Muhammad, Tekomin Williams, Roudy St. Fleur, Ryan Stephenson and others.
Your contributions will also “Help a child visit their incarcerated parent”
We’ve identified a wonderful NYC based non profit organization that provides much needed services to children of incarcerated parents including after school programs (academic support as well as arts and recreation), mentoring, family services, connections to incarcerated parents through letter writing and weekend visits to facitlties to see their incarcerated parents.
Every $100. we’re able to donate to this organization will pay for a Round Trip ticket for a child to visit an imprisoned parent.
The statistics are alarming! People of color continue to be disproportionately incarcerated, policed, and sentenced. Racial disparities in the criminal-justice system threaten communities of color; disenfranchising countless men, women, and children. These racial disparities have deprived people of color of their most basic human rights, making criminal justice reform the civil rights issue of our time.
Families separated by crime and the criminal justice system are often overlooked.
The spouses, friends, children, and community of incarcerated individuals are the voices we don’t hear. Oftentimes when a parent is removed from a home as a result of incarceration, children or young adults must assume a level of responsibility they are often ill-equipped to handle. “For Colored Boys, REDEMPTION” is a story that gives a voice to the voiceless by exploring the lives of everyone effected by incarceration.
Creative / Production Team:
Fine Print and other details:
- Travel, lodging and transportation to events and set visits not included in any reward bundle.
- Must be over 18 or accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to attend events (premiere, set visit)
- Some rewards may require additional paperwork (to protect us and you)
Other ways you can help:
Visit our website at (www.forcoloredboysseries.com) to stay updated on what’s happening every step of the way and please, spread the word!
Check out the links below to our FB, Twitter and other Social Media pages and SPREAD THE WORD, far and wide about this campaign.
Have a question for our director? Reach her directly at email@example.com
Have a question about the series, Reach out directly at firstname.lastname@example.org